Monday, November 14, 2011

The Pen IS mightier than the sword

Of all the stupid things a Mortuary can hand out to their customers, a pen has to be among the worst.  Because a pen can sit around for years, taking up little space and yet when one goes to use said pen one remembers where it came from.  Because it has the name of the mortuary stamped on it for one thing.  For another, things are burned in your memory the day that someone close to you passes away.  You remember things, such as what you were wearing, what the weather like and the pen you used to sign, that yes, your mother is legally dead and yes, you give the mortuary certain rights and privileges and pay them thousands of dollars and a person for their services. 

I find this pen every now and then.  I use this pen, because it is a good pen.  It never runs out of ink and it's always there, sometimes where I least expect it.  I can't throw it out, cause it's a good pen.  But everytime I use it, I am reminded of that very day, the day that stands out to me more than most days.  The day I signed my mothers life away.  She was already gone, but putting pen to paper and making it legal seemed the most final, the last, the end.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

You know that I am so sorry for your loss but on a positive note, I'm happy you have a pen to remind you because that said pen got you to update your blog :)

But I do agree it's sort of a tacky thing to give the family.